Have you made sushi before? It’s a fun family activity (a bit messy), give it a go, you’ll soon master the art.
You will need (Makes 5-6 sushi rolls)
- 2 cups (400 g) of sushi rice
- 3 cups (710 mL) of cold water
- 0.25 cups (59 mL) of rice vinegar
- ¼ cup (25 g) of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5.7 g) of salt
- 1 pack of unseasoned nori (seaweed sheets)
- Fillings of your choice cucumber, chicken, avocado, tuna, mayonnaise, carrot, tofu, salmon, anything!
- Bamboo rolling mat (not a necessity just makes rolling easier)
Preparing Your Rice
- Using a strainer, rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- Add rice and water to a saucepan, once it starts to boil pop the lid on and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, allow the rice to cool in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vinegar, sugar and salt. Allow the sugar and salt to completely dissolve, then add to the cooled rice and stir through thoroughly.
Assembling Your Roll
- Place nori seaweed, shiny side down on the bamboo rolling mat.
- Spread rice evenly over the nori, keeping about 2cm at the far end of the sheet free from rice.
- Add your fillings.
- Lift the front of the bamboo mat and roll the sheet tightly, wet the exposed strip of nori with a little water and press gently to join the edges.
Yay! You did it! Enjoy and send us your sushi pics 🙂
#melbournechildren #coronavirusactivities #stayathome #kidsactivitiesmelbourne #selfisolate #australia #yummy #food #stayathome #kidsrecipe #sushi #makesushi